KEY POINTS:
- At least 22 people killed in Israeli strikes on Thursday, according to ARN News Centre
- Two died in strike on Holy Family Church, Gaza’s only Catholic parish, Vatican News reported
- Eight men protecting aid trucks among the dead, ARN News Centre stated
- Ceasefire talks continuing in Doha, according to ARN News Centre
Israeli forces killed at least 22 people in attacks in the Gaza Strip on Thursday, including two people who died in a strike on a church, according to ARN News Centre, citing medics and church officials.
The strike hit the Holy Family Church in Gaza City, which Vatican News described as “the only Catholic Church in the Gaza Strip.” According to the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem cited by ARN News Centre, “a man and a woman died” in what they called “an apparent strike by the Israeli army.”
Vatican News reported that the church was hit by a tank and that “four people” were seriously injured. The report quoted Cardinal Pierbattista Pizzaballa, Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem, as telling Vatican News that “a tank, the IDF says by mistake, but we are not sure about this, they hit the Church directly.”
Among those injured was Father Gabriel Romanelli, the parish priest. Vatican News reported that he was among those “wounded more lightly.” The National noted that Father Romanelli was significant as “the late Pope Francis used to call every night for updates on the conflict.”
Pope Leo XIV responded to the incident with a statement of condemnation. According to ARN News Centre, “Pope Leo said he was ‘deeply saddened’ and called for ‘an immediate ceasefire.'” Daily Post Nigeria reported that the Pope’s message was “delivered through the Vatican’s Secretary of State and published on Telegram.”
The Israeli military acknowledged the incident. ARN News Centre quoted the Israeli Defence Forces (IDF) as saying they were “aware of reports regarding damage caused to the Holy Family Church in Gaza City and casualties at the scene. The circumstances of the incident are under review.”
The IDF statement added: “The IDF makes every feasible effort to mitigate harm to civilians and civilian structures, including religious sites, and regrets any damage caused to them,” according to ARN News Centre.
Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni was among international leaders condemning the strike. ARN News Centre quoted her as saying: “The attacks against the civilian population that Israel has been carrying out for months are unacceptable. No military action can justify such an attitude.”
The attack occurred while ceasefire negotiations continue. ARN News Centre reported that “mediators continued ceasefire talks in Doha,” though the report noted that “two officials from the Palestinian group Hamas told Reuters there had been no breakthrough.”
According to ARN News Centre, eight men protecting aid trucks were among the 22 people killed in Thursday’s strikes, though the report did not specify where these deaths occurred.
Cyprus Mail reported that “six people were seriously injured” in the church strike, citing Italy’s ANSA news agency. The report also noted that Father Romanelli “used to regularly update the late Pope Francis about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.”
AL-Monitor reported that the attack came as “Gaza’s civil defence agency reported that Israeli strikes killed 18 people across the Palestinian territory on Thursday,” though this figure appears to differ from the 22 deaths reported by ARN News Centre.
The Holy Family Church has served as a shelter during the conflict. AL-Monitor reported that “members of the Catholic community have been sheltering at the Holy Family Church compound in Gaza City” since the early days of the war, adding that “some Orthodox Christians have also found refuge there.”
Vatican News noted the communication challenges in gathering information about the incident, with Cardinal Pizzaballa stating: “We don’t have complete information about what has happened in Gaza today because the communication in Gaza is not that simple.”



